- Season Highlights
The Mustangs Close out a Banner Fall Athletic Season
History Made, New Championships Won
History was made and new championships were won during the fall 2015 athletics season at Marlborough. Highlights include:
- The Varsity Cross Country Team finished 3rd in the Sunshine League, qualifying for the CIF Southern Section Prelims race. Bianca W. ’16 ran the fastest time by a female in either the Sunshine or Mission League, claiming the MVP Title for an astonishing 4th-consecutive year. Running solo, Bianca managed to break the previous record of Kate Grace ’07 to finish in 3rd overall at the CIF-SS Meet. Her 18:16 shaved five seconds off the Hall of Fame, and USA Track & Field Star’s best time.
- The 7/8th Grade Team finished in 4th Place at the Jr. High Delphic League Finals. Emma H. ’20 broke the School record for the 2-mile Cross Country Course (11:58).
- Varsity Golf had an undefeated season, but placed 4th at the mid-season tournament, missing a key player. However, at the league finals, they claimed Marlborough’s first Mission League title in any sport, finishing as the Mission League Champions.
- JV Golf followed in the footsteps of Varsity, finishing 2nd Place in Mission League.
- The 7/8th Grade Swimming Team finished in 3rd Place at the Jr. High Delphic League Finals. Upper level teams will compete in the spring season.
- The Varsity Tennis Team finished in 2nd Place in the Mission League. Carrying a squad that balanced youth and experience, first-time Head Coach Liz Franco guided the team through a challenging season. Nail-biting wins over Notre Dame High School, and some really gutsy play from both singles and doubles, were the hallmarks of a comprehensive team performance. Jordan H. ’19 made it to the individual semi-finals as a freshman, while the team defeated long-time rival Santa Barbara in the CIF-SS Division 1 Playoffs.
- The JV Tennis Team also had a wonderful season, finishing a credible 2nd Place in the Mission League. The 7/8th Purple Tennis Team ended the regular season tied for 1st in their division, but lost in a cruel semi-final tie-break in the playoffs, while the 7/8th White Tennis Team closed their season with a 5th Place finish in their division.
- The Varsity Volleyball Team ended their season in 5th Place in Mission League, but so many of their games were true epics. Narrow losses to Notre-Dame High School, Flintridge Sacred Heart, and to Marymount left everyone wondering what could have been. The Mission League is one of the toughest in the entire state. Varsity also had great showings at the Durango Showcase Tournament in Las Vegas, as well as the Redondo Beach Tournament in November.
- The JV Volleyball Team finished 3rd Place in the Mission League. The Frosh/Soph Volleyball Team ended up in 2nd Place in the Mission League. An overall 18-3-1 record (6-2 in league) demonstrated real strength in depth for the program. The 8th Grade Volleyball Team finished 4th in their Division of the Jr. High Delphic League.
- The 7th Grade Volleyball Team concluded their season as (undefeated) Jr. High Delphic League Champions, having also won the Marlborough School Invitational Volleyball Tournament Title.