- Guest Artist, September 13th, 2019 & January 17th, 2020
- Senioritis, October 18th, 2019
- Winter Art Show, November 15th & December 16th, 2019
- Invitational Art Show, March 20th, 2020
- Spring Art Show, April 24th & May 7th, 2020
Each year we schedule one or two guest art shows in Seaver Gallery. These shows are often put together by guest curators, which have included a Marlborough alumna. These shows give our students and school community the opportunity to see artwork created by Los Angeles and regional artists, and the ability to interact, have a conversation, and ask questions during gallery receptions. Several of these artists have given presentations of their work and/or taught masterclasses for Marlborough students. It is a dynamic and personal intersection between the visual arts classroom and the vibrant art scene of Los Angeles.
- Street Level: Photography from the O'Melveny & Myers Art Collection
- Ching Ching Cheng: Transverse
- Contemplating Form curated by Vida Brown
- Ideas Materializing into the Unfamiliar
- Fertile Ground: Approaches to Landscape in Contemporary Prints curated by Elise Barclay’92
- Power of Six curated by Porntip Sangvanich
- Homespun curated by Elise Barclay’92
- Shane Guffogg Paintings
- Visible Evidence curated by Nicholas Fedak
Beginning in the early twentieth century, as cameras became smaller and thus more portable, photographers could more easily capture their immediate surroundings, creating extraordinary images of the quotidian and the unexpected. These “straight” photographs, presented as unmediated documents of modern life, belie a wide range of motivations on the part of their makers. From social concerns to more personal and intimate encounters, the works on view demonstrate diverse approaches to photography and the vigorous pursuit of artistic vision. Included in the exhibition are works by Berenice Abbott, Diane Arbus, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Robert Doisneau, Martin Elkort, Lee Friedlander, Masahisa Fukase, John Guttman, Lewis Hine, André Kertész, Josef Koudelka, Helen Levitt, Lisette Model, Aaron Siskind, David Vestal, and Garry Winogrand.
This exhibition was organized by Elise Barclay ’92. Special thanks to O’Melveny & Myers LLP for lending the works for the exhibition, and to Fraenkel Gallery, San Francisco.
In January, 2019, Ching Ching Cheng, presented her solo show, Transverse, which explores the shifting dynamics of an individual’s various identities undergoing change. Cheng creates narratives in different times and spaces through photography, sculpture, and video. Cheng shared her artistic process and about how her personal experiences have shaped her work.