Tuition & Financial Aid
Marlborough recognizes that applying to an independent school is a substantial financial commitment for all families. In our pursuit of a student body that reflects the demographics of Los Angeles, one of our goals is to enroll students who represent a wide range of socioeconomic backgrounds. This diversity enhances the educational experiences of all of our students, preparing them to succeed in an ever expanding world.
To that end, Marlborough is committed to making its education affordable to all admitted students. Currently, one in five students receives financial assistance, with awards ranging from $4,425 to $44,050. The average award for the 2020-2021 academic year is $31,350, which represents 71% of our annual tuition. In addition, financial assistance covers most school expenses such as books, school trips, bus transportation, college counseling workshops, laptops, extracurricular activities, and more.
How to Apply for Financial Aid
We encourage all families for whom all or part of Marlborough's tuition is outside of their family's budget to apply for financial aid.
Marlborough uses the School and Student Services (SSS) to evaluate and process financial aid applications. The application for 2021-2022 will be available online after October 2, 2020. Based on the information you provide to SSS—your Parents' Financial Statement (PFS) and supplemental documents—SSS calculates and estimated amount your family can contribute toward educational expenses. Information includes your assets and living expenses, and takes into account individual family situations and budgets. Every financial aid application is then reviewed by the school's Financial Aid Committee with a thoughtful eye, prioritizing equity across our community.
Important Note: Because admissions decisions will be released in mid-March before many families complete their tax forms, we make preliminary financial aid awards prior to receiving your 2020 Federal Income Tax forms. Awards are contingent upon the verification of the tax returns and subject to change and/or may be revoked should the 2020 Federal Income Tax forms differ from the information provided on the Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) through SSS.
- Who is eligible for financial aid?
- How does applying for financial aid affect a student’s admissions decision?
- Does Marlborough offer academic scholarships? Athletic scholarships?
- On what factors is a family’s financial aid award determined?
- What if parents are divorced or separated or never married?
- Is there an expectation that both parents work?
- Can I submit an admissions application as a “full-pay family” and then apply for assistance after my daughter has been admitted?
- What expenses are covered by financial aid at Marlborough?
- Do I need to reapply for aid each year?
- When will I be notified of my award?
- Does Marlborough offer payment plans for tuition?