Congratulations to our two Marlborough robotics teams on a fantastic performance last Sunday. Our InterLeague tournament in Riverside ended with drama, excitement, and performances that rivaled the Super Bowl. Both teams had strong rounds in the robot game and ended qualifying in 4th and 6th place out of 23 teams.
Team 11770 was our rookie team and impressed all present with their skilled driving and consistently functioning robot. They became part of the third seeded alliance but were eventually eliminated by the group that went on to win the tournament.
Team 3526 demonstrated that they were the team to beat and became the first team selected for elimination rounds. Their first seeded alliance advanced to the final and pushed a best of three series to the third round. It was the Marlbots' match to win or lose, and the slightest misalignment caused them to literally "drop the ball" and lose the match. However, it was a great day that saw our teams earn the following honors from the judges (listed in order of award prestige):
Team 3526 (Marlbots):
- 1st Place Inspire Award (top award given to the best all around team, note that teams can only earn 1st place for one judged award)
- 2nd Place Think Award (for clearly documenting their design process in their engineering notebook)
- 2nd Place Innovate Award (for having a unique mechanism that could consistently perform a task)
- 2nd Place Motivate Award (for outreach in the local community)
- 2nd Place Control Award (for use of sensors and programming to complete tasks autonomously)
Team 11770 (Curiosity)
Team 3526 will advance to the LA Regional Championship at Monrovia High School on February 26th, where they will face the top 48 teams from our region.
Additionally, this is Robotics teacher Mr. Witman’s second year in a row to receive the Compass Award, given to an outstanding coach based on a video submission by the team.
Check out the team's nomination video: